, German WW2 Panzerbuchse Solothurn S18-1000 20x138m.jpg
The weapon itself is just massive being almost 7 feet long. The Rheinmetall company was the original developer of these weapons in the early to mid 1930s and used the Solothurn factory in Switzerland to bypass the terms of the Versailles Treaty and to actually produce many of these weapons during the German secret rearmament, with actual production in 1939-1942 time frame. A German version of this same weapon 20mm cannon design was used by the Germans during WWII and employed in both fighters and mounted on wheeled carriages. They were intended to be used as a light anti-tank gun, however as tank armor improved, their role shifted for use against light armored trucks and vehicles and fixed field guns. These weapons were a beautifully machined and manufactured weapon with all forged parts that were 100% machined and fitted to exacting tolerances. They have an all blued metal finish with the complete bolt assembly left in the white. This specific weapon is very unique in that it has a permanently mounted optical sighting device or sniper scope mounted on the left side of the receiver. The telescopic sight assembly has a fully machined housing assembly that is actually integral with the receiver, directly over the opening for the box magazine with the optics fitted inside. It has a massive fully machined sunshade and rear eye piece with the rubber eye cup on the back. The scope itself appears to be approximately 3X and it has a single European style single aiming post for a reticule that has windage graduations on each side of the post. The top of the scope is set up just like a sniper rifle in that the elevation knob is calibrated from 1-12 (100-1200) meters, obviously for the standard 20mm cannon ammunition. In addition to the optical scope it has the standard folding front sight directly over the chamber area of the gun with a standard military style tangent rear sight, graduated from 2-15 (200-1500) meters. This weapon has the following receiver markings: 'SWITZERLAND/S18-1000/1940/NC. 502", with the receiver flat directly on the rear of the chamber area has a small "Cross/M" proofmark. The weapon functions in a barrel recoiling/blow-back operated fashion with the large box magazines mounted on the left side of the receiver with the ejection port on the right side. To actually cock the cannon the operator has to turn a large crank on the right side of the receiver, to withdraw the bolt to the rear and then pull a lever on the left side to actually release the bolt, which in turn strips the first round from the box magazine and loads it in the chamber. After firing the barrel actually recoils backwards and rotates to unlock the barrel extension from the eight locking lugs on the front of the bolt and ejects the spent cartridge. This version is fitted with a bipod mounted on the lower font portion of the receiver with a single adjustable monopod on the very rear of the receiver. It is complete with four original large Swiss/Solothurn box magazines, a canvas, box magazine carrier with shoulder strap, a canvas bag that contains a four section cleaning rod and handle assembly, two asbestos gloves for holding on to the barrel when carrying or moving the cannon after firing, two spare recoil springs, an electronic firing cable assembly, a brass oiler can, and two small tin boxes the hold various small spare parts, cross and takedown pins and spring assemblies with approximately 20 rounds of live 20mm ammunition. Most of the ammunition is head stamped with "20/40 and 41" for the year of manufacture with one of the following lot or makers marks: E3, E7, E8 or E15. There is primarily two type of rounds most have a dark blue painted tip with the remaining a lighter blue painted tip. NOTE: This weapon is defined by the National Firearms Act as a Destructive Device. This is a fully transferable NFA Class III Firearm currently on a Form 3. You are required to check your state and/or local laws as to whether or not you may own this. This weapon can be transferred to a Class III dealer at no charge. Buyer pays all other transfer fees and stamps.